Life is busy ... really busy and we seem to have to cram more and more into less time these days. A little gentle organisation goes a long way to keeping things from decending into total chaos and i've read loads of books, blogs and articles on getting / being organised. So drawing on all the wisdom of the experts, here's my contribution - I hope it helps!
Why We Get Disorganised...
Our brains can only hold so much stuff and if we overload them we start forgetting things, so give your brain a brake and take some of the load off by organising your physical environment.
In a nutshell if your stuff is sorted, then your brain can (theoretically) deal with all the other things you need to remember.....
This type of organisation mainly involves three key concepts:
1. Having places for your things so you can find them easily, especially things you use daily - such as a spot for your keys, shoes and post.
2. Using the places and puting things back where they belong - Don't put your keys on the sofa, they'll go down the back and be lost for several days, meaning you'll spend hours looking for them and then need to find the spare ones or get new ones cut and not lose them too..... Yes, I speak form personal experience on this one!
3. Writing things down and having a place to keep physical reminders such as bills that need paying and invitations that need replys...
Organising With Vintage Style.......
So once we know what the problem is all we need to do is find solutions to help, but, I don't want beige office letter racks and plastic bins and draws lurking around my home - they're so dull, so here are my TOP 5 vintage organisation solutions:
2. Keeping track of post & paperwork that needs your attention by keeping it in one spot - an antique or vintage toast rack
is the perfect solution.
3. A sudden headache or cut finger can throw us off totally, especially if you cann't find a painkiller or plaster so keep them togeather in a vintage first aid tin
- (don't forget to keep all medcation out of reach of children).
4. Another gremlin from the land of lost content are shoes - all it takes is for one shoe to wedge itself under a sofa and hey presto you've lost 20 minutes of you day! So get a lovely big vintage basket
and get everyone to put their shoes in it when they arrive home
- no more lost shoes!
5. Muti-tasking is part of our lives and it really helps to keep everything running smoothly, but, after a hard days work we just want to sit our comfy sofa. Get a decent size vintage tray
, it can be your writing or computor desk, craft table, dining table, and more - all from the comfort of your sofa ... A vintage tray looks fantastic and has many, many uses so invest in one!
I hope this inspires and helps - even a little.
Labels: first aid tin, key holder, letter rack, organisation, organising your home, shoe basket, storage solutions, time managment, toast rack, vintage basket, vintage home