Steptoes Dog Vintage Wares

Where I have a little cogitate on all things vintage ......

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Spring is in the Air and i'm making do and mending...

As the Spring has arrived and the light changes, I start to notice all the odd and ends that need seeing to in my home, and I alway feel a little discontented, a bit like Mole (Wind in the Willows), so as an antidote I like to make and improve things a bit. Funds are in short supply and it is much more rewarding to make something rather than visit shops full of the same things, so I've embarked on a make do and mend home improvement schedule, which includes a lot of recycling and up-cycling old, antique, retro and vintage items.
Thus far i've made and hung a 'new' pair of curtains for the office, from a Sixties quilt. The poor office rarely gets much attention, so this is a much needed improvement.
I made vintage ribbon and crystal blind pulls for our Velux windows - I couldn't reach them before, so much better.
I wanted a new bed, our bedframe is a really old Ikea one and was looking well past its best, although it's structurally sound, so I decided to make a headboard from a pair of cupboard doors that have been living in my garden for the last 4 years.
More to come.....